Federal courts have put the execution of the orders on hold, and the Trump administration is considering a range of options that includes taking the case to the Supreme Court and drafting new and tighter orders.
The affidavit from a top US customs official provides the government's first public release of the number of people it says were denied entry and returned to their home countries during the eight days the ban was in place.
The 44 airport denials all took place on two days, January 27 and 28, according to Todd Hoffman, who oversees admissions and processing of global visitors and travelers for the U.S. Customs and Border Protection agency.
It would also allow for the immediate return of Mexican immigrants apprehended at the border pending their deportation hearings outcome, instead of housing them on US property, and allows for potential prosecution of parents of unaccompanied minors from Mexico and Central America if they paid to have their children smuggled over the border.
The affidavit said the list of 141 individuals has been provided to the State Department.
The memos dated Friday seek to implement President Donald Trump's broad directive to crack down on illegal immigration.
Fresco predicted quick legal challenges from immigrant groups and that a large percentage of Kelly's orders will be blocked by courts shortly after they are implemented.
John Kelly, a general in the US Marine Corps before being appointed to Trump's team, told the Munich Security Conference the President was working on an improved executive order aimed at avoiding confusion caused by his first attempt. Previously, expedited removal was only used for immigrants caught within 100 miles of the border within 14 days of coming into the U.S., or by those who arrived by sea but not at a port of entry.
Kelly said that the administration had been surprised by the ruling and would try to do better. Under Kelly's guidelines, parents of these minors could be prosecuted if they are found to have paid smugglers to bring their children across the border.
"We will have this time the opportunity. of input on the rollout plan, in particular that no one's caught in the system coming overseas to our airports", Kelly said.
He said: "It's a good assumption, and as far as the visas go, if they're in motion from some distant land to the United States, when they arrive they will be allowed in".
Last week, the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals denied the government's emergency appeal to lift the Temporary Restraining Order (TRO) on Trump's immigration order issued last week by a federal judge in Seattle, indicating in its opinion that Trump's past comments about a "Muslim ban" can be used as evidence for discrimination. Others, he said, "we will have a short phase-in period to make sure that people on the other end don't get on airplanes".
It caused anger and confusion as people arriving at USA airports were detained and sometimes sent back.
Asked about the effectiveness of a blanket ban on seven countries, fellow panelist Thomas de Maiziere, Germany's top security official, suggested it could be counter-productive.
The first order temporarily barred people from seven Muslim-majority countries from traveling to the United States for 90 days, as well as all refugees for 120 days - except those from Syria, who were banned indefinitely. "The more precise you do it, the more effective you are".